If you invite a friend over to your house to have a drink, when they knock on the front door do you step out onto the porch and entertain them there, or do you welcome them into your home and move them deeper inside to the living room or kitchen?
Chances are good that you want your guests to come inside. Think of your website like you would your house. Internal linking invites visitors to come further into the website and look around—to make themselves at home, and to stay awhile.
An internal link connects one page of a website to another page on the same site. Why do we do this? First, it helps with site navigation. Second, it improves your SEO. How does it do that? Primarily it distributes page authority and ranking power throughout your site. It also helps keep visitors on your site longer, which lowers your bounce rate. Overall it improves SEO by providing clear paths for spiders to crawl, longer user sessions, and a clear network of pages and posts.
This right here? Where we suggest you check out another blog post about SEO terms and what they mean…? This is an example of an internal link. Make sense?
- Create lots of quality content: sites with only a few pages will have little content to link to. Blog posts are a great way to create quality content to link to.
- Anchor text: use text that describes the content you are linking to.
- Link Deep: do not link to your home page or contact page.
- Use relevant links: do not just link for the sake of linking.
- Use follow links: this keeps the link value fluid.
How to Create Internal Links
- Highlight the relevant text.
- Click the Link icon.
- Enter the link details. (ie: paste the URL of the page you want to link to)
- Choose whether your link opens in a new window or the current window.
- Click Done.
Google will reward a hospitable website. Happy visitors easily navigate from page to page, providing multiple clicks and pageviews. They also stay on the site longer as a result.
Since Google pays attention to pageviews and the amount of time people spend on your site, it can only benefit you in the search rankings when you implement this solid practice of internal linking. Want to know more about these SEO Basics? Check out this blog post for more information.
See what we did there?
The WebWiskee website building process is designed to help you invite those visitors further into the house. Don’t leave them on the front porch!
Ready to take your shot?
We don’t just help you build your website; we help you build your business.
Give your business the shot it deserves with a site as smooth as it is bold.
Join the waitlist and get early access!